If you are revising for E Michaelmas trials next week, I suggest you go through this checklist and make sure you understand each point fully….. This list could be the basis for making some revision notes.
- Understand the differences between atoms and molecules
- What is a polymer? Give some biological examples of polymers and describe their structure.
- What are the chemical tests for glucose and starch?
- How do enzymes work as catalysts?
- Draw a graph to show how temperature effects the rate of an enzyme-catalysed reaction. Annotate the graph to explain why this pattern is observed.
- Now do the same but for the effect of pH on enzyme reactions…..
- Write down the word and balanced chemical equations for photosynthesis.
- Why is photosynthesis such an important process in the plant (and in the ecosystem)?
- Draw an annotated diagram to show the structure of a leaf and how it is adapted for photosynthesis.
- How do you test a leaf for starch? How do you measure rates of photosynthesis using an aquatic plant? What variables could you alter in this set up?
- Explain differences in function between xylem and phloem.
- How is water absorbed in root hair cells? Explain osmosis (good luck!)
- What are the differences between diffusion and active transport? Give two biological examples of each.
- What is transpiration? How can you measure it?
- What factors affect rates of transpiration in a plant?
- What is the difference between a pesticide and a fertiliser?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of chemical pesticides and biological control of pests?